Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I Make It Myself: Mayonnaise

Another, "I make it myself" opportunity came up more quickly than I thought.  I make salad dressing for my husband (oh, there's another one...) and I needed more mayonnaise for the recipe, so tonight I made mayonnaise.  It is so easy and cheap to make, never will I spend nigh $4 for a jar of it again.

I know this is not new for many of you, but it hasn't been on my blog, so here goes.

I got my recipe from my Fanny Farmer cookbook, but I made a few alterations.

You will need: 
1 c. olive oil
1 egg (preferably fresh from your own chicken)
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. dry mustard
1 1/2 T. vinegar or lemon juice
1 T. whey - (see update at the bottom of this post)


In a food processor place:
egg, salt, dry mustard, about 1/4 c. of the olive oil  




Turn on the processor and leave it going. 

SLOWLY drizzle in 3/4 cup more olive oil in a very thin stream (do not get impatient and dump it all in at once at any point!) 



Keep drizzling.....



I know your hand is getting tired, but don't dump the oil in, just KEEP DRIZZLING!


Once you have drizzled in the last drip of oil, you should have a nice creamy emulsion.



Now with processor still going, add 1 1/2 T. vinegar or lemon juice (I prefer the vinegar flavor). You can also add more salt if you like. 




Voila' Mayonaisse!  This will keep as long as the egg would keep in your fridge.  Since I am using a fresh, fresh egg, I would consider it good for a month, but it doesn't last that long anyway.  


UPDATE:  I had read somewhere that whey will increase the life of your mayonnaise and I finally researched it (since I routinely have gallons of whey!)  Just adding 1T or so to the mayonnaise and letting it sit for a few hours lacto-ferments the mayo making it last for 6-8 weeks!  Here's the link:  http://www.cheeseslave.com/homemade-lacto-fermented-mayonnaise/    I basically use my own recipe and add 1 T. whey, since her recipe is about double mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment