Thursday, March 1, 2012

Make Your Own Taco Seasoning

Since I have started on Pinterest, several people have asked me about recipes and gardening tips.  I don't really think much about what I do, I just do it.  So, I decided I would start blogging and pinning some of the things that are now just second nature to me....like gardening, making bread, milking goats, etc.....saving bread crumbs.

Sorry, no spiritual insights today ;)

But, you can make your own Taco Seasoning.  My mom used to buy those $1- each packets (probably .69 back then) all the time and it was all I knew, so that's what I bought too.  Now I make my own large batch of it and store it in an old spice container.  I use about  1-2 T. per pound of ground beef for tacos, or just use it to taste for other recipes.

I buy most of my spices from Job Lot or Price Rite, but if you want to be even healthier / natural / organic, you could get the higher quality spices, or use your own.  I do use my own hot pepper flakes.



That is NOT the cumin container, it's an old chili powder container that I am reusing. 


This recipe is roughly based on the recipe in Saving Dinner the Low-Carb Way by Leanne Ely.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

1 cup dried minced onion
1/3 c. chili powder
3 T. cumin
3 t. red pepper flakes (she calls for 4 t., but mine are super-hot.)
1 T. oregano
4 t.  garlic powder
2 t. onion powder

Mix together and store in airtight container.






No comments:

Post a Comment