Friday, December 9, 2011

What are you whining about?

I've been reading through the Psalms, backwards, for my daily Bible reading....in my paper Bible at the table because God doesn't trust me to read on the computer.  He knows I'll get distracted by some email or Facebook or something.  I am reading through them backwards because I always start at Psalm 1 and then peter out in the 50s or something.  So I decided to start at the end instead.

I am also reading to my 9 year old from Numbers, and now Deuteronomy because she, "wanted to start from the beginning." (We skipped most of Leviticus, I don't think you need to ask why.) I noticed the Israelites are complaining A LOT and God gets really mad.  Made me think of how much I complain.  

Numbers 14:1-12 (NIV)-
 " 1 That night all the people of the community raised their voices and wept aloud. 2 All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, “If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! 3 Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn’t it be better for us to go back to Egypt?” 4 And they said to each other, “We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt.”
 5 Then Moses and Aaron fell facedown in front of the whole Israelite assembly gathered there. 6 Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had explored the land, tore their clothes 7 and said to the entire Israelite assembly, “The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good. 8 If the LORD is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us. 9 Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will swallow them up. Their protection is gone, but the LORD is with us. Do not be afraid of them.”
 10 But the whole assembly talked about stoning them. Then the glory of the LORD appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all the Israelites. 11 The LORD said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them? 12 I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them, but I will make you into a nation greater and stronger than they.”


In my personal reading I am in Psalm 88. (All quotes of "the Psalmist" are from Psalm 88.)

3 For my soul is full of trouble
   and my life draws near the grave.[c]

4 I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
   I am like a man without strength.
5 I am set apart with the dead,
   like the slain who lie in the grave,
whom you remember no more,
   who are cut off from your care.  6 You have put me in the lowest pit,
   in the darkest depths.
7 Your wrath lies heavily upon me;
   you have overwhelmed me with all your waves. 


It occurred to me that they are in similar situations, the Israelites and the Psalmist.  Both feel like they are facing death. How come God doesn't get mad at the Psalmists, David or Korah, like He does with the Israelites for grumbling?    

The Israelites question God's plan.
“If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! 3 Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn’t it be better for us to go back to Egypt?” 4


The Psalmist recognizes that even if God himself is responsible for his circumstances, He is still the one to appeal to for a remedy.  2 May my prayer come before you;
   turn your ear to my cry....

....."You have put me in the lowest pit".....
....."Your wrath lies heavily upon me"...."
 .... I call to you, O LORD, every day;
   I spread out my hands to you. 

...But I cry to you for help, O LORD;
   in the morning my prayer comes before you.


The Israelites don't believe God.
“How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them? 

The Psalmist believes that God is loving,  he remembers His wondrous works, His faithfulness and righteous deeds.
1 O LORD, the God who saves me,
   day and night I cry out before you.

Is your love declared in the grave,
   your faithfulness in Destruction[d]


10 Do you show your wonders to the dead?  
Are your wonders known in the place of darkness,
   or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?


The Israelites complain and lay blame to men. 
2 All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron

The Psalmist complains to God.
1 O LORD, the God who saves me,
   day and night I cry out before you.
2 May my prayer come before you;
   turn your ear to my cry. 


9  I call to you, O LORD, every day;
   I spread out my hands to you.


13 But I cry to you for help, O LORD;
   in the morning my prayer comes before you.


The Israelites seek their own solutions.
3 Wouldn’t it be better for us to go back to Egypt?” 4 And they said to each other, “We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt.” 
10 But the whole assembly talked about stoning them.

The Psalmist reasons with God. 
10 Do you show your wonders to the dead?
   Do those who are dead rise up and praise you?
                         
Selah
11 Is your love declared in the grave,
   your faithfulness in Destruction[d]?
12 Are your wonders known in the place of darkness,
   or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?
 

Can a dead man praise you, God?  Now that's a logical argument.
(Interestingly, Moses reasons with God on behalf of the Israelites later in this same chapter of Numbers - 14:13-23.)

Honestly, how many of us are facing death?  Even so, He is the God who saves.
O LORD, the God who saves me


How often do I question God's plan?

How often do I reveal unbelief?

How often do I complain to (or about) someone who has no power or remedy?

How often do I seek my own solutions?


I can complain to the One who is in control.

I can believe.

I can ask God for solutions.

I can reason with God.

   



 

  
 












No comments:

Post a Comment